Academic Catalog 2022-2023

Undergraduate Academic Advisement

Good academic advising is a key to obtaining the best college education possible – an education that is intellectually stimulating, supportive of the student's career goals, and personally meaningful and rewarding. Good advising represents a partnership in which student and advisor use their respective expertise to facilitate the student's learning and decision-making. This section of the University Catalog will describe the major aspects of the advising system at CSU Dominguez Hills. Read the entire section to gain an understanding of the overall system and then concentrate on the particular subsections of greatest relevance to your advising needs.

For new students, the advising process should include participation in a New Student Orientation. This orientation will introduce key campus administrators and services and fellow students; provide an overview of graduation requirements; facilitate course selection by providing the opportunity to work with an academic advisor; answer any questions; and, perhaps most importantly, make it more likely to develop those campus bonds which lead to a rewarding and successful college education.

It is highly recommended that each student meet with an advisor at least once each semester and strive for comprehensive advising. Advising goals vary, but comprehensive advising will:

  1. provide a context for students to formulate, develop and achieve their educational goals;
  2. support integration of student learning experiences; and
  3. encourage maximum attainment of individual student potential.

Undeclared majors must contact the University Advisement Center, WH A-220, (310) 243-3538. Transfer students should bring their Academic Requirement Report as well as previous transcripts with them when seeking advisement. The Academic Requirement Report is an easy tool which allows you to identify outstanding requirements for graduation. The Academic Requirement Report uses a simple color-coded system. Every student should access their Academic Requirement Report every semester.

Advisors will assist students in planning their academic programs, but students ultimately are responsible for meeting all prerequisites and requirements of the degree program.

Students are also urged to read the information under "Counseling Programs" and to avail themselves of the many types of personal and career guidance that are available at the University.

Pre-admission and Admissions Advising

New students wanting information about college life or to begin the application process, should contact Outreach and School Relations, WH C-245, (310) 243-3696. All questions about admissions requirements, transfer of previous course work, application deadlines, and other parts of the application process should be directed to this office.

Information concerning the academic programs, instructional facilities and faculty at CSU Dominguez Hills may be obtained from Outreach and School Relations or the appropriate academic department(s).

Required Advising Sessions

There are three times when a student is required to seek advisement and obtain an advisor's written approval prior to registration:

  • Upon first entering the University.
  • At the beginning of the junior year (60 semester units).
  • At the beginning of the senior year (90 semester units).

In addition to the above three times, many departments or programs require additional advising sessions. Use the following guidelines:

  • Declared majors - Students should check with their major department to determine policy.
  • Undeclared majors - Students must obtain advising from the University Advisement Center each semester.
  • Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) - Such students must obtain advising from an EOP academic advisor.
  • Admission Exceptions (Special Admits) - For their first year on campus, Special Admits must obtain advising at the University Advisement Center.

Failure to obtain the required advising will prevent the student from registering for classes.

Department Advisors

Faculty members in the academic departments usually serve as academic advisors for students with declared majors. Faculty advisors are available throughout the academic year, and students are urged to meet with an advisor at least once each semester in addition to any required advising sessions. Students should bring their Academic Requirement Report and transcripts of all college work when seeking advisement. In the advising sessions, the student and the advisor develop a proposed course of study for the student based on his/her interests, and educational and career objectives. Together they check the student's progress toward graduation and discuss matters relevant to the student's education.

To obtain an appointment with a departmental advisor, students should contact the appropriate department or college office. Business Administration and Public Administration majors/minors should contact the College of Business Administration and Public Policy Advising Center, SBS A-306, (310) 243-3561. College of Arts and Humanities majors/minors should contact the Arts and Humanities Student Success Center, LaCorte Hall LCH C314, (310) 243-3264. Education and Liberal Studies students should contact the College of Education Student Services Center, SCC Building 5, Room 510, (310) 243-3525. College of Health, Human Services, and Nursing (CHHSN) majors/minors should contact the CHHSN Student Services Center, WH C-300, (310) 243-2120 or (800) 344-5484. College of Natural and Behavioral Sciences (CNBS) majors/minors should contact the CNBS Pre-Health and Advisement Center, LIB 5721, (310) 243-2547. The University Advisement Center advisors serve as departmental advisors for undeclared majors.

University Advisement Center

The University Advisement Center, WH A-220, (310) 243-3538, provides primary advising services for undeclared majors, admission exceptions (special admits), and new freshmen who have not yet established advising ties with the department of their declared major/minor. Other services include:

  1. General Education advising;
  2. academic policy clarification;
  3. review of graduation requirements;
  4. placement test advising; and
  5. visitor/concurrent/cross enrollment information.

Specialized assistance is offered to students on academic probation or to those experiencing academic difficulty. Whenever a student needs one of these services, he/she should contact the Center; advisors will gladly provide necessary assistance.

General Education Advising

All General Education advising is through the University Advisement Center. In addition to General Education requirements, major requirements, and minor requirements (if needed), some students will need elective units to meet the minimum requirements for graduation. Questions concerning these elective units can be referred to both departmental advisors and the University Advisement Center.

Obtaining an Academic Advisor

Use the following guidelines for obtaining an academic advisor:

Declared Majors and Minors

Declared majors and minors should contact their major or minor department to obtain an advisor and establish a program of study. Students should bring their Academic Requirement Report to all meetings with an advisor.

Undeclared Majors

Undeclared majors must contact the University Advisement Center, WH A-220, (310) 243-3538. Transfer students should bring their Academic Requirement Report as well as previous transcripts with them when seeking advisement. Students should carefully check the lower division course requirements of any potential major and take these courses, so that a particular major will not be precluded or graduation delayed due to unmet lower division requirements.

Special Majors and Minors

Special Majors and Minors should contact the Office of Academic Programs, WH-440 (310) 243-3308.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Educational Opportunity Program students must contact the EOP Office, WH D-350, (310) 243-3632.